1.31.2012

Midnight In Paris

Upon the recommendation of my movie-junkie brother, I watched my second Woody Allen movie (the first was Match Point). Allen's movies are not really my type - dragging, most of the time entailing scrutiny, and having to listen intently to the dialogue, if not “reading" it (subtitles). But Midnight in Paris ain’t bad. And the more [what my brother calls] “the big idea” of this movie is being discussed in blogs, radio or between me and him, I'd say I really really like it =]

I couldn’t coin it any better than The Good Dystopian:

That's the beauty of Allen's latest heartwarming installment to his extended love affair with Europe: living in the present doesn't have to be dream-deprived. While a prolonged departure from everyday and unrelenting refusal to embrace daily life can lead to naive delusions, allowing a dose of escapism, and even thriving on it, doesn't necessarily hurt. Or at least that's what Allen's vicarious wish-fulfillment through Gil Pender tries to convey.

A poignant message in an artistic form by a creative writer and genius that is Woody Allen. Live in the present. Embrace it. Daydream a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment