2.29.2012

On Facebook & other Social Media

I came across this article (Anti)social Media by Julie Green in Today’s Parents, January 2012 issue. It’s just too poignant not to share. In this day and age where we loiter in the realms of social media and where "Facebook" is now acceptable as verb in the English language (facebooking anyone?), this article should be our wakeup call. I am not a Facebook aficionado, but in general I have my iTouch almost glued to me when at home. The things I do with it are endless.

Here's an excerpt from the article. If you are reading this and feeling “this is so me,” then indeed, “Houston, we've got a problem!”
Social media may bring people together, but it can divide many more. Websites like Facebook and Twitter connect you to total strangers, while taking your attention away from the people closest to you: your partner, your child.
I know I'm not alone. Social media sites are an outlet, after all - a means to unwind and regroup at the end of a long day. ... As a result, many couples wind up on the couch night after night, cuddled up with Blackberrys and iPads, instead of each other. Ouch!
A freelance writer, yoga guru and mom of two, typically goes "offline" on weekend. And I'm reining in my usage to a level my family (and I) can live with. That means making lists, deciding what's crucial and doing away with the rest. The other day, I took a deep breath and deleted my Facebook profile. As far as I know, the world is still turning.
Read the full article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment