2.28.2012

Rice and Red Beans

With my quest for healthy eating, I have substituted our staple white rice with brown. Brown rice doesn’t have the fluffly texture of white, but I like its chewy and nutty texture anyhow. More importantly it has more than 3x the fibre in white rice.

I cooked brown rice the same way I cook white, with my tired 10-year old Zojirushi rice cooker. It does all the works including this healthy Rice and Red Bean.

Ingredients: brown rice, red kidney beans (1 can drained & rinsed), coconut milk (1 can), chicken broth (enough to make up the ratio of liquid to rice), dried thyme, bay leaf, minced garlic, chopped onion, and ground flax.

Mix well in the rice cooking pot. And press Cook.

Easy peasy! This is best with Jerk Chicken or Roasted Chicken.

P.S. the kidney bean will wrinkle with this method (versus cooking this from stovetop), but that is totally fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment